Thursday, January 6, 2011

Easy Provencal...Filet Mignon

I am finally starting to get back into the swing of things after crazy December! As you probably noticed by my lack of posts the last few weeks, I could not get myself to cook dinner regularly like usual, and when I did cook, I forgot to take pictures. No pictures, no posting...

Tonight I made a take on a recipe I saw in Ina Garten's new cookbook: How Easy is That? The recipe she has in the cookbook is called Easy Provencal Lamb. It was just the two of us and I was too lazy to look for a lamb leg as I was traipsing around the grocery store in my 4 inch high heels after work, so I got Filet Mignon. I know, totally different, but whatever...it worked and it was probably 10 precious steps closer to the checkout than the lamb.

This is approximately what I did:

Easy Provencal...Filet Mignon
  • 2 six ounce pieces Filet Mignon
  • 3 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon chopped garlic, divided
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
  • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 3/4 pound ripe red tomatoes, cored and 1-inch-diced
  • 1/8 cup good olive oil
  • 3 Tablespoons good honey, divided
  • 1/2 large Spanish onion, sliced
  • 2 sprigs fresh thyme
  • 1 sprigs fresh rosemary

  • Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place the steaks in a roasting dish. Combine the mustard, half the garlic, rosemary, balsamic vinegar, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a food processor (a mini one if you have it) and pulse till herbs are minced. Spread the mixture over the meat.
  • Place tomatoes, olive oil, half the honey, the onion, remaining garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper in a bowl and toss well. Pour tomato mixture around the meat and tuck the rosemary and thyme springs under meat. Drizzle with remaining honey. Roast for 20 minutes at 450, then for another 5-10 at 400. Remove meat from oven and cover with foil. Let rest for 10 minutes to let juices reabsorb and rest. Serve with tomato and onion mixture.

I also made some roasted Brussel Sprouts and Butternut Squash with the meat. Overall it was a good meal that tasted like I cooked it for a long time. It was quick, easy and best of all...Brian cleaned the dishes!

3 comments:

  1. Jack gave me Ina's new book as a Christmas gift! Can't wait to try all of her new recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just realized that your blog isn't showing up in my google reader, so I've been completely missing out!! You've got some great recipes on here, and this one in particular sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok this sounds super yummy! I don't really like steak, but I love filet mignon. I will try this one :)

    ReplyDelete