Friday, April 1, 2011

Fast Fiesta

I would like to start off by saying that I am sorry my blog entries have been few and far between lately, I just have had so much going on it is hard to get myself together right now. I am planning on organizing things better from this point forward!

Sometimes I get myself into a rut on auto-pilot making the same types of things and going through the same sources to find recipes. Lately, all that has sounded appealing to me is beef, mostly steak. I think I am on red meat overload and so I spent some time the other day searching for some recipes for some different proteins that were fast and seemed appetizing. When you don't have a ton of time to make dinner, but you want it to be flavorful,
this is the recipe to make.

I found this treasure amongst some of my Bobby Flay recipes and was so excited to go home and make it. I love Bobby Flay; his personality, his restaurants, his recipes, even his wife who used to by on my favorite show Law and Order: SVU. The only caveat is that his sauces and preparations usually take hours...hours that I never have. That is the great thing about these Shredded Chicken and Tomatillo Tacos with Queso Fresco, they take hardly any time at all and taste like you have been cooking all day!

A few months ago I got a free subscription to Bon Appetit for being such a great customer at Sur la Table and finally I have started getting my issues. Of course, I didn't pick up my January issue till this week, but I did find some things I am excited to try. Unfortunately, some of the ingredients that star in the recipes are now out of season (like Pomegranates). With a few creative substitutions I made this great Rainbow Chopped Salad.

Rainbow Chopped Salad
Recipe Courtesy of Bon Appetit

Dressing
1/4 Cup Red Wine Vinegar
1 1/2 Tablespoons Finely Chopped Shallot
1/2 Tablespoon Honey
1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Salad
6 Cups Chopped Romaine Hearts
4 cups Sliced Red Cabbage
1 Large Fuji Apple, diced
1 Asian Pear, diced
1 Mango, diced
3/4 cup Hazelnuts, chopped and toasted (I used Walnuts)
1/2 Cup Pomegranate Seeds (I used dried Cherries chopped)
1/2 crumbled Blue Cheese

Dressing and Salad Instructions:
Whisk vinegar, shallot and Honey in a small bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in oil. Season dressing with salt and ground pepper.

Combing Romaine and next 6 ingredients in a very large bowl; toss to blend. Add dressing and toss to coat. Divide salad amongst plates and sprinkle with Blue Cheese. Serve.

After toasting my tortillas, I served the tacos with some Fat Free Greek Yogurt instead of Sour Cream or cheese...they were delish! Enjoy this weeknight dish that is so fast and easy to make!


No comments:

Post a Comment