Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Biggest Loser Night

In honor of the Biggest Loser, one of my favs, I thought it only appropriate that I make my favorite recipe courtesy of my favorite contestant I have seen on The Biggest Loser.
Wow! That is a lot of favorites...

The Biggest Loser is inspiring. It is motivating. It is heart-felt. It is about real people trying to change their lives. Most of all, whenever I feel like sleeping in instead of going to the gym, I think to myself if those people are working out, so can I. Say what you want about Biggest Loser, but if you would rather pollute your brain with the likes of people named Snooki or
The Situation, then let's just agree to disagree!

Back to Tara, my fav contestant. She was on a couple seasons ago and kicked everyone's butts in every competition. I am fiercely competitive and thought she had so much drive and heart behind her weight loss. It was great to watch! I am still bitter she didn't win, but I still love her and she made this recipe for Turkey Mini-Meat loafs. They are tasty, flavorful and low-calorie. You can make them, eat them, freeze them, make sandwiches out of them, chop them up to put in omelets. They are just a great all around basic to make!
On top of it, they are cute!

Disclaimer: I hate meatloaf. I have never tasted a meatloaf I have liked besides this...
so try it. You will not be sorry.

Tara's Turkey Mini Meat loafs
Ingredients:
1 small yellow onion, coarsely chopped
1 medium carrot, coarsely chopped
1 stalk of celery, coarsely chopped
2 canned chiptotle peppers in adobo sauce
1, 20 oz, package lean ground turkey breast
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
2 egg whites

Topping:
1/4 cup fat free & sugar free ketchup
1 Tablespoon chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar Substitute

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In the work bowl of a food processor, combine onion, carrots, and celery. Pulse until finely chopped. Add chipotle peppers and pulse until just combined. In a large bowl, combine the ground turkey with the pepper and vegetable mixture. Add egg whites and oats; gently mix until combined. Place about 1/3 cup of the prepared mixture into wells of a standard size muffin pan that has been lightly sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Bake for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine all of the topping ingredients in a small bowl; set aside. Remove meat loaves from the oven and spoon the topping over each one. Return meat loaf to the oven and continue to bake for an additional 5-10 minutes or until meat loaf is firm and the internal temperature registers at 170 degrees. Let meat loaf stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Makes 9-12 mini meat loafs. Calories per serving 110. Protein 16 grams. Fat 1 gram.

I used my Cuisinart Mini Prep Food Processor to chop the Mirepoix. It is one of the best kitchen tools I have. A lot of people have emailed to ask me how I manage to use my food processor, clean it, and not complain about it....I don't use my big one. I would much rather use this little guy! It is the best investment!


This is what the Turkey mixture should look like when you are done mixing


Aren't they cute!? Did you watch Biggest Loser this week?
Makes me want to go to New Zealand immediately...

No comments:

Post a Comment