Sunday, April 17, 2011

True Food Reinvention

I have been wanting to try this restaurant called True Food in Fashion Island for some time now and I was so excited to go there with Brian's dad and Linda the other day to celebrate Brian's birthday! The food was excellent and healthy which is the best combination
don't you think??

When we left all I could think about was going back, but we were headed down to the desert that week. What was I to do? Recreate what I had for lunch! I also have been throwing some ideas around in my head for a while for a flat bread. I thought my new flat bread and the salad I had at True Food would make an excellent pair!

I even had to recreate my drink I had also! It was really refreshing and didn't seem to complicated to duplicate. I highly recommend this place and if you aren't near one of their two locations, try my recipes below.

Date Gorgonzola Flat Bread
Ingredients:
1 piece whole wheat flat bread
2 dates, chopped
2 tablespoons apricot jam
1/2 onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, chopped
3 tablespoons Gorgonzola cheese
Olive oil
Directions:
Preheat Broiler.

Drizzle a olive oil in a small pan and heat over medium heat. Combine onion and garlic in pan and saute over medium heat until onions are caramelized and lightly browned.

Put piece of flat bread on a piece of foil sprayed with cooking spray. Put in oven for 3-5 minutes depending on your oven, just till slightly crispy. Remove from oven.

Spread the jam evenly over the flat bread, with the back of a spoon is easiest. Spread onion mixture over the top. Sprinkle dates and cheese evenly.

Put back in oven for 3-5 minutes until cheese is melted and bread is golden brown.
Slice and serve...enjoy!

Spring Chopped Salad
Ingredients:
4 cups Spring Mix Greens
4 Strawberries, sliced
1/4 cup Goat Cheese, crumbled
1 cup Sugar Snap Peas, ribs removed and roughly chopped
1 Roasted Chicken Breast, skin removed and shredded
(I just used a rotisserie chicken that I bought at the grocery store)
2 Tablespoons Almonds, sliced...optional
Balsamic Vinaigrette (I used a fat free one from Trader Joe's)

Directions:
Combine all ingredients but dressing in a large bowl. Toss gently. Drizzle with dressing and toss and serve amongst several plates. Enjoy.

Hangover Rx
Combine 1 can Coconut water, 1/3 cup pineapple juice, and 1/3 cup orange juice and stir. Serve!


This drink is really refreshing and healthy and makes a perfect compliment to everything on this menu. I hope you try out some of these recipes and leave me your comments!
Have a wonderful evening!

1 comment:

  1. Oooh! I'm gonna try this! Especially now that pesach is over. I love apricot jam!

    ReplyDelete