Monday, April 4, 2011

Sweet Endings

I love dessert. There is nothing like a bite of something sweet after dinner, but if I ate dessert every night after dinner I would have to spend at least another hour working out every day to keep off the extra 50 pounds I would most likely gain. Brian on the other hand does not feel the same way as me and complains every night about our dessert selection, which mostly consists of a variety of beautiful fruit.
Fruit is wonderful, naturally sweet and juicy and healthy!

Brian is less than thrilled. I don't really get it, but I have been trying to come up with some ways to give him the dessert he wants without adding another 400-800 calories to our daily intake. That is why this really easy Strawberry Sauce I concocted is perfect! I picked up some Angel Food Cake at the store on my way home and put this whole thing together in 15 minutes. The sauce is beautiful and tastes like you spent a lot more time on it than you did!

Super Simple Strawberry Sauce

Ingredients:
1 Pint Strawberries
2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
1/3 cup Sugar

Directions:

Wash Strawberries, cut off stems and quarter.

Combine all ingredients in a medium size saucepan and simmer over medium heat for about 5 or 6 minutes. Basically until the sugar has turned a ruby red color and the strawberries are soft. I recommend stirring them often and mushing (I know, really technical) with your spoon while they are cooking to let the sugar absorb some of the juices.

Let the sauce cool down a bit and then pour into a blender or food processor. Pulse a couple times or until the sauce has become the consistency you want. I prefer mine different textures depending on the final usage.


Strawberries Simmering Away



About to be pulsed into the final product



Final sauce! Consistency is smooth with bits of fresh strawberries throughout


How beautiful is that for 15 minutes of effortless work? Not bad, not bad at all! I think you could use this sauce in so many ways and with Summer coming up, I always have a ton of strawberries I never know what to do with! Try some of these suggestions:

-Drizzled over waffles or pancakes in the morning
-Served with your favorite ice cream or frozen yogurt
-Use this instead of Chocolate Sauce or Creme Anglais on your Souffle
-Stir into your Lemonade to make Strawberry Lemonade
-Drizzle on top of Cheesecake
-Freezes well to have strawberry sauce anytime you like


Enjoy and have a sweet day!


No comments:

Post a Comment