Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Expendables

Tuesday I was so excited to come home from work and relax! We had such a busy weekend and I am still trying to recover on sleep even though it is mid-week. I was hoping either to watch some mindless television on my DVR or rent The Expendables because my friend, Maynes, told me I would love it. That is a given if Sylvester Stallone is in it because I am a huge fan of both Rocky and Rambo. I know you wouldn't think that, but I had the kind of dad who taught me how to trip people in soccer and go fishing, so I have lots of fond memories of watching Rocky get his eye cut open by a razor blade when I think of my childhood.

The Expendables was pretty good. Full of action (stunts that are impossible in real life) and they had some pretty intense weapons. Lots of knives and rifles. Lots of blood, but only the bad guys get killed =) AND...the best part?
IVAN DRAGO (Dolph Lundgren from Rocky IV) makes a cameo. Loved it!


To compliment our movie, I made:

Maple- Mustard Chicken Breasts with Winter Squash Puree
Source: Cooking Light, March 2010

For Chicken Breasts:
ingredients:
4 Boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts
1/2 tsp. salt, divided
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
cooking spray
1 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. finely chopped shallots
1/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp. maple syrup
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

instructions:
1. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with 1/4 tsp. salt and pepper.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add chicken to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until cooked through, but with a slight blush in the center. Remove from pan; keep warm.
3. Return pan to medium-high heat. Add butter to pan, swirling to coat. Add shallots; saute 3 minutes or until tender and translucent. Add broth; bring to a boil, and cook 1 minute. Stir in mustard, syrup, and remaining 1/4 tsp. salt; cook 1 minute or until slightly thick. Return chicken to pan. Cook chicken 1 minute on each side or until thoroughly heated (be careful not to overcook chicken). Serve chicken with sauce. Garnish each serving with 1 1/2 tsp. parsley.

For Winter Squash Puree:
ingredients:
1/3 cup fat-free, less sodium chicken broth
24 ounces cubed butternut squash
1 Tbsp. melted butter
1/2 tsp. grated orange rind
1 1/2 tsp. maple syrup
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper

instructions:
1. Place squash on a cookie sheet coated with cooking spray. Roast in oven with 400 degree oven until soft and cooked through.

2. Place squash and broth in food processor and pulse till smooth. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine.


Chicken pan roasting...



My finished dinner! I also made some Broccoli-Rabe (I usually blanch it first, put it in an ice bath, then saute it with a little garlic).

Did any of you see The Expendables? Did you like it?

No comments:

Post a Comment