Thursday, December 16, 2010

Crazy for Kebabs!

I was really excited when I saw this recipe in my new cookbook my sis gave me because Brian and I both love Mediterranean inspired food and usually you can get really bold flavors that are healthy. The Chicken Kebabs with Creamy Pesto were extremely fast to prepare and tasted like I had been working on them for hours when it really only took 20 minutes. I also made a Greek Salad and toasted up some pita bread.

It was the perfect healthy, but still filling meal for the 3rd day of Brian's "No Ice Cream" Diet. Because I can't help but feel so sad inside when he goes to look for a "dessert" every night and there is nothing there...I also made a beautiful fruit salad so that he would have something to eat after dinner. It is like he thinks something is going to magically appear in the freezer, so he stands there with the door open looking into the abyss of ice, frozen bread and frozen peas! I guess if he gets really desperate he can defrost the top layer of our wedding cake, but now that I think of it, that would require way too much effort!!

Greek Salad:
2 Peeled and Chopped Cucumbers
1/2 Large Red Onion Chopped
4 oz Kalamata Olives sliced in half
1 Small basket Cherry or Grape Tomatoes sliced in half
4 Canned Artichoke Hearts quartered
8-10 Sun dried Tomatoes slivered
1 Chopped Yellow Bell Pepper
1/2 cup Fat Free Feta Cheese
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
Salt and Pepper to taste

Combine everything except the oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Toss gently. Add the oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.

NOTE: I make this differently every time I do it. Use different variations on the vegetables (I use what I have on hand, sometimes use Celery instead of Bell Peppers...) and I am just guessing at the amount of Vinegar I use. The key is to chop everything the same size so when you take a forkful you get even amounts of flavor. It is really easy and tastes great! Keeps in the refrigerator for about 5 days.


Super Simple, but tasty, Creamy Pesto Sauce



Grilled Chicken Kabobs...the recipe says to bake them, but grilling them is better I think.


Complete meal! Great for leftovers!


Brian's New Dessert! Doesn't it look good??

No comments:

Post a Comment