Monday, December 13, 2010

No more Ice Cream

After the past few weeks of eating...A LOT more than usual...Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, and just because, Brian decided that Monday he was going on a diet. He calls it a diet, but that is a little extreme, it is more like just not eating junk on top of our regular healthy food. I have also been feeling like a blob lately (couldn't work out for a week because of the flu and just feel like yuck), so I was all up for it.

What does this mean? I am not buying Brian's usual low calorie ice cream bars, sandwiches and cones. I am not buying anymore chips, chocolate snacks or frozen pasta things he likes. We are going back to having only good, healthy foods in the refrigerator and pantry. That is how it used to be, but it is hard for me to resist buying him the snacks and goodies he loves. Then I realize...this is how it starts, one ice cream here and there to him eating 4 ice cream treats in ONE night!! Can you imagine how many boxes of frozen dessert I have to buy a week??? A LOT! Yes, I know you don't see where it turns into fat on him because he is so lean, but it just isn't good. From now on he will be having a piece of fruit for dessert.
Then ice cream bars will be a treat.

What does all this have to do with the Monday night dinner? Nothing...except Brian couldn't find an ice cream to eat after we had dinner. HAHA.
He went searching but there was nothing left!

In light of our healthy start to Monday, I made this delicious Halibut with Caper Salsa Verde, Steamed Artichoke with my Creamy Garlic Mustard Sauce and some Spicy Penne. I wasn't planning on making the pasta, but having a dinner with no starch on the first day of Brian's diet with no ice cream just felt mean. Brian LOVED the Halibut and he voted it one of his favorite recipes! I chopped the salsa a little finer than they did in the recipe and I think it coated the fish better that way....


Creamy Garlic Mustard Sauce
2 tablespoons reduced fat mayonnaise
2 tablespoons reduced fat sour cream
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon crushed garlic
1/2 teaspoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon dill
salt and pepper

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Serve. Easy!


Chopped Ingredients for the Salsa



Pretty Artichoke



Finished Product!


I would definitely recommend this Halibut. I will be repeating this again soon! Do any of you ever feel like a blob?

No comments:

Post a Comment