Tuesday, March 15, 2011

A Taste of Home

I was running the other morning at Bootcamp and for some reason my mom's pasta fagioli popped into my head. I haven't had it in a really long time...like years, but for some reason I thought of it. Of course, then I had to locate her recipe and make it immediately!

I could not wait to run to the market and then run home to start making it. Just like any memory of childhood, experiencing it as an adult sometimes is totally different and familiar all at the same time. For me, I never realized how simple this soup is to make, but the flavors are still so developed. Warms my soul and reminds me of home, even though home is only 4 miles away. The weather has been so volatile lately, I feel like there are still several more rainy days lingering to enjoy a hearty soup like this!



Pasta Fagioli
1 cup chopped onion
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 garlic clove minced
1 cup pasta sauce
1 quart water
1 cup small pasta shells
2 cups cannellini beans
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
fresh chopped parsley
Parmesan Cheese

Saute onions, celery and garlic in olive oil for 10 minutes or until soft. Next, add pasta sauce and simmer for 10 minutes. Add water and bring to a boil. Boil 10 minutes, then add pasta and beans. Continue to boil for 10 minutes. Turn off heat, add salt, pepper and parsley. Serve with Parmesan Cheese on Top. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment