Saturday, February 5, 2011

Superbowl Sunday

Superbowl Sunday to me is like the equivalent of Arbor Day. Actually, Arbor Day may be more interesting because it actually promotes planting trees for a good cause. In fact, when looking for the perfect mate back when I was dating, one of the attributes on my "must have" list was: Someone who is not obsessed with any big sporting event.

Nothing is more unattractive to me than someone who doesn't want to go anywhere because they "have to watch the game". Fortunately, my husband is only a pretender. I worked Sunday, and when I got home the Superbowl was on in the living room, but he was in his office studying.
Clearly an avid sports fan.

Even though I don't care much for professional football, I do care about Sloppy Joes! When I think of Sloppy Joes it brings me right back to 1st grade at Chadwick. It was the one day a month my mom didn't make me lunch and I got to eat from the Cafeteria. Her lunches were always great and involved hand drawn flowers on the bag with cute notes inside, but I still looked forward to Sloppy Joes every once and awhile!

It seemed like the perfect thing to make Sunday night!

Super Sloppy Joes Simmering. Love this recipe because it had tons of great flavor and no ketchup involved at all! Sorry Jack...


I served my Sloppy Joes with some Roasted Corn and Blue Cheese Cole Slaw. I came up with this recipe after having something very similar and amazing at the Crow Bar in Corona del Mar.
My adapted (less caloric and fattening) recipe is the following:
-1 Bag Shredded Cabbage (or 1/2 head of Cabbage Shredded)
-1/2 cup Shredded Carrots
-3 Tablespoons Plain Reduced Fat Greek Yogurt
-2 Table Spoons Crumbled Blue Cheese
-2 Tablespoons Reduced Fat Blue Cheese Dressing
-1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
-Salt and Pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients and Chill Before Serving. Done! Easy! Tasty! Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Can you send me the sloppy joe recipe? I may have to mix a few different recipes with it though, because, as you know, ketchup is a requirement in the Sheeran household. :)

    Monday was fun. I think you should add a monthly piece on all the awkward and/or inappropriate people we encounter during our meet ups.

    ReplyDelete