Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Restaurant Review: Haute Cakes Caffe

Haute Cakes has become Brian and my Sunday morning ritual. It is tucked away in a strip mall on 17th street, but it is not exactly a secret. There is a big reason for the long line to order, fight for tables and people sitting outside in the pouring rain. The food, especially the breakfast, is fabulous. You do not find great breakfast and comfort food often in Southern California, but what I like most about Haute Cakes is that they put a "California Twist" on traditional breakfast foods.

Even though there is a long line most of the time and not too many inside seats, I can assure you the line goes fast and you can usually snag an inside table. I am not a fan of sitting outside unless is a perfect sunny day with no breeze, but we always manage to get a table inside. How? Why? Because Brian and I start off waiting in line together and decide what we want, meanwhile I closely keep one of my eyes on the tables inside, as someone gets up to leave I dart over and take the table regardless of whether it has been cleaned off or not.
I then text my choices to Brian to order.

This is a very carefully mastered task...
attempt at your own risk of getting accosted by a Newport Mom or Man Cougar.


Hot Chocolate


Vanilla Carmel Latte


Amazing Custard Slice


Amy's Breakfast Special: Egg White Omelet with Kalamata Olives, Pine Nuts, Feta Cheese and Peppers. Served with Fruit and Whole Wheat Toast. Mmmm. It is huge and I can never come close to finishing it, but it is so interesting and tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment