Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Summer Slaw

When browsing Bon Appetit the other day I found this recipe for Cabbage and Corn Slaw with a Cilantro and Orange dressing.  I have been thinking about making Turkey Burgers lately for dinner and it made the perfect compliment.  I just get so bored of the same old salads and there is nothing better than a nice refreshing 
side dish to mix up an otherwise ordinary dinner.  

Ground Turkey is an easy, inexpensive, versatile protein to buy and I always find myself recreating last night's dinner into something else the next day for lunch.  It cooks quickly and is low in both calories and fat.  Perfect for weeknights and quick cooking.  This week, I had actually bought it to throw into a quick pasta that I had been dreaming up in my head with roasted garlic and Parmesan cheese, but then when I saw this slaw recipe I changed my mind.  Note: If you are wondering why my turkey burgers in the background look like a hot dog shape, it is because they were.  I only had hot dog buns in the freezer so I just went with it! 


Cabbage and Corn Slaw with Cilantro and Orange Dressing
Courtesy of Bon Appetit
Ingredients
-1/3 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
-1/3 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
-1/3 cup canola oil or vegetable oil (I used about half the amount to cut the fat and calories)
-2 (8 oz) bags of coleslaw mix
 -4 ears of fresh corn, shucked, kernels cut from cob 
(I roasted mine on the BBQ for a few minutes to cut the raw taste)
-2 medium carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
-1 medium red bell pepper, stemmed, cored and cut into thin strips
-6 green onions, thinly sliced
-1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped

Directions
Whisk orange juice concentrate, rice vinegar, and oil in a small bowl.  Season with salt and pepper.  Dressing can be made 1 day ahead.  Cover and refrigerate.  

Combine slaw mix, corn, carrots, bell pepper, green onion and cilantro in a large bowl.  Toss with enough dressing to coat.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  
Let stand 15 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Toss again and serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment