Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A Fresh take on Cucumber Salad

We went to a new Japanese Sushi Restaurant the other night and when perusing through the menu I saw something interesting.  Plum and Cucumber Sushi.  At first I thought it sounded weird, but then I started thinking it would probably be a really lovely combination.  One of Brian and my favorite things when we are going for Sushi is the cucumber salad which I also make at home fairly often.  I have tried rolling my own sushi at home and it just never comes out exactly like the professionals so I wasn't going to embark on that again.  Not to mention buying all the necessary tools to make sushi is more expensive than going down to the restaurant and paying the whole $5 for the roll.  

Anyways, below I made my own rendition of Cucumber Salad with Plums.  It turned out beautiful and the flavors were perfect together.  This is the season to make it too with Plums so ripe and gorgeous right now.  Just looking at the picture is making my mouth water because it was so fresh and light!


I know this picture isnt that attractive, but I had to show you how to best sliver the plums.  Using a mandolin, slice the plums into fairly thin slices (upper right).  Then using your knife, stack a couple plum slices together and sliver them vertically (lower left).  I also used my mandolin to slice the cucumbers since I already had it out.  Usually I am so lazy to wash it I just use my knife!




Cucumber Plum Salad

Ingredients
2 cups Cucumber, thinly sliced
1 cup Plum, thinly sliced and slivered
1/4 cup Red Onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup Carrot, match-stick cut
1 tablespoon Sugar
1 tablespoon Cilantro, fresh and chopped roughly
2 tablespoons fresh Lime Juice
2 tablespoons Rice Wine Vinegar
1 teaspoon Soy Sauce
1/8 teaspoon pepper
salt to taste (won't need hardly any)

Directions
Combine all ingredients in a medium sized bowl and toss gently making sure to combine all ingredients.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment