Saturday, June 18, 2011

Reinvention: BLT

Lately, it kinda seems like I have been obsessed with the concept of a BLT.  Well, it is sort of true.  I am obsessed with the flavor profile, but mostly it is the ease of making it.  The almost insignificant effort required to make something tasty.  As I was perusing the pages of my new Martha Stuart Magazine, I came across a BLT soup.  Yes, a BLT soup...

I checked out the recipe.  I love the concept, but did not like they way they did it in the recipe.  I am pretty picky about tomato soup =)  The way they had the recipe written was with iceberg lettuce, tomato soup, croutons, bacon and an egg drizzle.  
No offense, Martha, but Iceberg lettuce in soup does not work for me!  

My re-invented, BLT Soup came out perfectly delicious, healthy and satisfying.  I would make this again any day and the tomato soup was great for lunch the next day!  



BLT Soup

Ingredients
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup chopped onion, one medium
3/4 cup shredded carrot
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 tablespoon, shallots, minced
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
4 basil leaves
3 drained sun dried tomato halves, packed in oil with herbs
2 (14.5 ounce) cans organic diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (14 ounce) can fat free, less sodium chicken broth
Croutons
8 slices Turkey Bacon Pan Fried in cooking spray (or Regular Bacon), torn into pieces
2 cups Fresh Spinach

Directions
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.  Add chopped onion, shredded carrot, garlic, and shallots to pan.  Cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently.  Add sugar, pepper, salt and 4 basil leaves and cook for 5 minutes.  Add sun-dried tomatoes, diced tomatoes, and broth and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.  Remove from heat.  Use and immersion blender (or regular blender) and blend until smooth.  

In the bottom of each bowl put a bunch of spinach.  Divide soup amongst bowls and top 
with croutons and torn bacon. Serve!  

Enjoy this one!  It was wonderful!


No comments:

Post a Comment