Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Curried Cous Cous

I am constantly looking for interesting side dishes.  I know I can't be alone in my quest!  Sometimes it seems like everything I make is boring and no matter how hard I try to change and reinvent things, it is still the same flavor profiles and same old broccoli.  
Now that I think of it, I often feel the same way about my closet...

I accidentally said this out loud when peering into my closet the other day.  Frustrated and fed up with trying to put together yet another outfit for work I yelped, "Ugh!  I have no clothes!" as I fell to the floor in  my closet melodramatically.  Unfortunately, I was unaware of my husband standing 5 feet away watching my whole ordeal unravel.  Even more frustrated and annoyed than me, he was even more appalled by my display.  Ha!  Whoops!  

Look, I know I have a lot of clothes, more than most normal people.  I know that he had to move his clothes into our guest room closet so I could have both the large walk-in closets in our bedroom, but aren't I allowed one day of frustration?  Yes.  I think so!



Curried Couscous with Broccoli and Feta
Courtesy of Cooking Light
Ingredients
1 3/4 cups Water
1 cup uncooked Couscous
1 1/2 cups small broccoli florets
1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
1/3 cup carrot, shredded
1/4 cup Raisins
1/4 cup dry-roasted cashews, chopped (I omitted this and added Pomegranate Seeds instead.  YUM!)
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
1 teaspoon bottled minced fresh ginger
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)  I would use half if making as a side dish, use the whole thing if making as a vegetarian main
3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese

Directions
Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan; gradually stir in couscous.  Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes.  Fluff with fork.  

While couscous stand, steam broccoli florets, covered, for 3 minutes or until tender.

Combine couscous, broccoli, onion and next 10 ingredients (onion though chickpeas), tossing gently.  Sprinkle with cheese.  



This dish is SO flavorful and surprisingly amazing!  
You need to try it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment