Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Time to Relax

The other night I was really in the mood for something I could put on the stove and then go relax.  I find cooking very relaxing and I look forward to coming home to make dinner, but sometimes I just want to sit on the couch and relax after work.  As I was searching through recipes, I came across this one from Giada for Beef and Cannellini Bean Minestrone and it sounded like the perfect thing to complete my day.  

Minestrone is one of my favorite soups, but it never has enough protein or substance to be a full meal.  Giada made a few changes to this one, the biggest one being that it calls for ground beef.  I used little shells like I do in my mom's Pasta Fagioli because Brian didn't want the beans.  I think it would be great either way.  This is one of those meals you could make to warm you up in the winter or in this case a summer soup full of great vegetables!

The best part of this meal was once I put all the ingredients in the pot, I was able to sit on the couch and watch America's Got Talent.  Nick Cannon makes me laugh!



Beef and Cannellini Bean Minestrone
Recipe courtesy of Giada
  • Ingredients
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 onion, finely diced
  • 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
  • 1 rib celery, diced
  • Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
  • 8 ounces lean (8 percent fat) ground beef
  • 3 garlic cloves
  • 3 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 4 cups low sodium beef broth
  • 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
  • 1 (15 oz) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 dried bay leaf
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
Directions
In a large saucepan, add the oil and heat over medium heat.  Stir in the onion, carrot and celery and season with salt and pepper to taste.  Cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.  Increase the heat to high and add the ground beef and garlic.  Season with salt and pepper, to taste.  Cook until the beef is browned and cooked through, about 6 to 7 minutes.  Stir in the tomato paste and mix to combine.  Add the broth, tomatoes, beans and bay leaf.  Bring the mixture to a boil.  Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the liquid has reduced by half, about 30 minutes.  Remove the bay leaf and discard.  Season with salt and pepper, to taste.  
Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with Parmesan.



No comments:

Post a Comment