Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Use What You Got

This past weekend my family travelled to Chicago to celebrate my dad's birthday in his hometown.  I was working down in Palm Desert all week, so when I got home late on Thursday night I still had to pack.  After a long day I wasn't too hungry and just wanted to use things from my refrigerator to make something light.  I had an apple, a pear, a rotisserie chicken and some lettuce.  With that, I made a beautiful salad with a recipe my mom gave me for an apple juice salad dressing.  It was fantastic!  Full of protein, greens and flavor.  The perfect thing to give me just enough energy to pack and then fall fast asleep before our very early flight!  We had the best time in Chicago seeing old friends and all the sights, but I am happy to be home today and back to my normal schedule.  I am currently counting down the days to Brian and my summer trip to Cabo San Lucas on Saturday!!


Apple and Pear Salad
Adapted from Cooking Light
Ingredients
1 cup Apple Juice
2 tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
1 teaspoon Olive Oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
10 cups mixed salad greens
1 cup seedless red grapes, halved
1 medium McIntosh Apple, cored and diced
1 medium Bartlett Pear, cored and diced
1/4 cup Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
2 cups shredded Rotisserie Chicken

Directions
Place apple juice in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium high heat.  Cook until reduced to about 3 tablespoons.  Combine reduced apple juice, vinegar, oil, salt and pepper, stirring with a whisk.  

Combine grapes, apple and pear in a large bowl.  Drizzle with dressing; toss gently to coat.  Sprinkle with cheese.  

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment