Sunday, May 22, 2011

It feels like Summer!

It is amazing how in Palm Desert the weather turns from Winter, to Spring to Summer all in the matter of a month or two. We really barely get what I call "The California In-between Seasons": Fall and Spring. I am well aware that in other parts of the country there are 4 distinct seasons. Here in Southern California we have two distinct seasons and 2 "in-between seasons". Now that it is officially over 85 degrees most days, it feels like summer already down there! The thought of eating anything remotely hot, heavy or greasy just isn't appealing at all.

This salad is the perfect balance between sweet and savory and has all the flavors that remind me of summer. I think when watermelon is more in season you could throw that in as well. I made some BBQ chicken and roasted corn to compliment, but it could be a side dish to compliment a plethora of things. I would even dice up some rotisserie chicken and bring it to work for a really tasty lunch. That beats a boring old sandwich any day!

Summer Peach and Tomato Salad
Courtesy of Cooking Light

Ingredients:
1/2 cup Red Onion, thinly vertically sliced
1 pound Ripe Peaches, pitted and cut into wedges
1/2 pound heirloom beefsteak tomatoes, cut into wedges
1/2 pound heirloom cherry or pear tomatoes, halved
2 Tablespoon Sherry Vinegar
3 teaspoons olive oil
2 teaspoon Honey
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
4 teaspoons basil leaves, chiffonade or torn

Directions:
Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl.

In another small bowl, combine vinegar, olive oil, honey, salt, and pepper. Stir with a whisk till well combined. Drizzle mixture over peach and tomato mixture. Toss well to coat. Sprinkle with cheese and basil.

Note: I took the liberty of doubling this recipe for you because I did the same thing when I made it as a side dish. I was serving dinner to 3 men, plus myself and it was all gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment