Thursday, October 27, 2011

Double Points

We all know a great trick or two for getting an easy dinner together quickly, and I bet one of the tricks on the top of your list is a rotisserie chicken from the supermarket.  From the deli section of the market to your dinner table...it really is great.  No, it isn't the same as when you make it at home and yes, I am sure if you use this trick too often the magic fades.  My whole strategy is never to use the chicken as it comes, the whole magic for me is creating something else out of it.  Whatever you make is still going to take less time and if you are really creative, you can get a great dinner together and still have time to do something extra you normally wouldn't be able to fit into your day.  

Double points this night because this fab dinner idea got me two rewards: A relaxing bath while the potatoes baked and an extra 30 minutes to an hour to watch some TV that I didn't spend in the kitchen on my very tired feet!  Sound nice to you?  Keep reading.

Triple points if you count that my husband loved it.  I don't know if I should be offended that he talks about this potato more than almost any other thing I make, or just take it as a compliment and move on?  I am going to move on.  A compliment is a compliment!

Stuffed Sweet Potato
Serves 2
Ingredients
2 Sweet Potatoes or Yams, punctured with fork a couple times
1/2 cup Mashed Avocado or Guacamole
1 cup Rotisserie Chicken, shredded
Plain Non-Fat Greek Yogurt
Scallions

Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Bake sweet potatoes for  30-40 minutes until tender.  Cut the potatoes vertically and open to expose inside.  Mash the potato a little till fluffy then top with half of each of the remaining ingredients.  Repeat for the other potato.  Serve.  Yes, it was that easy.

Fact Section:  What the grocery stores call "Sweet Potatoes" and "Yams" are actually both Sweet Potatoes.  Yams are another thing all together that you don't normally see at the market.  The purple one with the orange inside has just been dubbed "yam" so that all of us who don't know can distinguish between the two.  I like Yams better for this recipe, the purple one with the orange inside, but in the picture above I used a traditional Sweet Potato (yellow inside). 

Also, this has to be the most nutritious way to eat a potato!  Instead of butter use healthy fat-avocado.  Instead of Sour Cream- use Greek Yogurt.  Instead of Cheese- Use Salsa for more flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment